With its lush and tranquil setting, Thakadu River Camp stands out from other game lodges. Guests immediately disconnect from everyday stress as soon as they step under the riverine canopy, along the lush banks of the Marico River. Beautifully appointed tented suites are engulfed by an impressive diversity of flora and fauna that thrive here, in the eastern sector of the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve.
As an ecotourism partnership between North West Parks, the Molatedi Community and African Hotels and Adventures, Thakadu River Camp has been carefully constructed to blend into the bushveld. The concept is unique in that the local community owns the development, with substantial benefits accruing to its people.
Experience warm hospitality and bespoke service during your exhilarating South African safari!
Privacy and comfort are paramount to each of the 12 tented suites. Modern living combines with a strong Afro-Asian safari ambience for a truly luxurious retreat.
Four suites are family units, each with an extra queen-size sleeper couch for children.
- En-suite bathrooms
- Viewing decks overlooking the Marico River
Main Lodge Facilities
The main lodge is a true oasis. Unwind and relax on the traditional lapa, surrounded by natural forest, and enjoy the panoramic views.
- Open-plan lounge
- Dining area
- Bar area
Wine & Dine
Expect international favourites and local dishes to be expertly prepared by the chefs. Dine in the boma for a traditional African spin on “eating out”.
Indulge in a rejuvenating massage treatment that will restore body, mind and spirit. All spa services are offered either in-room, or on your private deck.
Start and end your day immersed in nature. Highly trained rangers, who have vast knowledge of native fauna and flora, lead all game drives. Chances of spotting the “Big Five” are high!
- Early Morning Game Drives – Get an early start to the day and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells that accompany the dawn. Expect to see everything from elephant and rhino to lion and giraffe. Leopards are a bit more difficult to spot; so evening game drives are your best bet.
- Evening Games Drives – As the sun sets, an entirely new game viewing experience presents itself. Departure time will differ depending on the time of year, but guests are offered a host of wildlife: hyena, lion, jackals, leopard, birds of prey and various other animals.
- Bird watching – The great variety of habitats provided by the Reserve – from forests and rocky hills to open grassland and dams – offer perfect settings for a wonderful diversity of bird species.
- Stargazing – The African sky offers spectacular starry nights.
As a family-friendly safari lodge, children of all ages are welcome.
- Luxury accommodation
- All meals
- Two game drives daily