Tuningi Lodge is situated in the world renowned Madikwe Game Reserve – a protected 75,000 hectare area that is completely malaria-free. The Reserve is a true African success story and Tuningi proudly showcases the best it has to offer. This private and exclusive Lodge boasts superior accommodation, which is enhanced by an impressive “Big Five” safari experience. Tuningi accommodates up to 16 guests in luxurious suites, all of which boast breathtaking views.
As part of its commitment to supporting the local community, Tuningi has adopted a pre-school and guest donations are used to make necessary upgrades.
You are invited to experience first-hand the wonders of nature, wildlife and a delicate South African eco-system.
Six Luxury Suites and two exclusive Family Suites have been designed in such a way that the Lodge can either be utilized to accommodate one party exclusively, or divided into separate areas.
Luxury Suites (2 guests per suite)
These spacious suites face a beautiful valley, which is frequented by a wide variety of wildlife both day and night. Each is furnished in timber with soft, warm colours that lend an organic feel to the rooms.
- En-suite bathrooms with double size bath
- Outdoor rock showers
- Private wrap-around viewing deck
- Fireplace in bedroom and bathroom
- Kitchenette and dining room
Family Suites (4 guests)
This suite has all of the same features, but utilizes retractable doors and windows to create an interior space that beautifully blends with the bush.
Main Lodge Facilities
Savour colonial African chic in the Main Lodge. Each stylish area exudes supreme relaxation, and everything is linked by an expansive deck.
- Indoor and outdoor lounges
- Elegant dining room
- Rim-flow pool
- Boma overlooking the water hole and shaded by an ancient Fig Tree
- Small curio shop
Whether it’s brunch, lunch or dinner, expect every bite to be indulgently inspired.
Meals are served in either Tuningi’s cozy dining room, or out in the boma where the table is set under an old Fig Tree overlooking a very active watering hole.
Fine food and superb South African wines are best sampled while sitting near a warm, crackling fire. This is the perfect opportunity to share the day’s sightings and experiences. End the evening with a sumptuous dessert and a nightcap before retreating to your suite.
Plans are underway to build a wellness spa, but presently you can book an in-suite treatment.
- Indian head massage
- Foot massage
- Full body massage
- Manicure and pedicure
Madikwe Game Reserve offers a wealth of bio-diversity and Tuningi has exceptionally well-trained rangers, who ensure guests excellent viewing opportunities that are also educational. Whether it’s a leopard on the hunt, lions roaring at twilight, dung beetles going about their business, or birds building a nest – an amazing experience awaits!
- Two game drives daily (morning and afternoon) in an open, state-of-the-art Land Cruiser
- Photographic safaris
- Bush walks
At Tuningi wedding celebrations are a subtle combination of African grace and charm. Ceremonies take place on a ‘koppie’ (hill) overlooking the northern part of the Madikwe Game Reserve. Through careful attention to details, bespoke service and coordination, the Tuningi team promises to create a stunning atmosphere for your safari-style wedding.
Tuningi is one of only a few lodges that specialize in families with children of all ages. Lots of toys, lego, coloring books and puzzles are available any time of the day. Formal activities include:
- Treasure hunts for natural items collected from the bush such as bones, feathers, nests, and eggs
- T-shirt painting
- Clay building competitions
- Older children are issued with an activity book where they can record sightings and animal behaviour every day
- On boma evenings, children can make their own bread on sticks, or toast marshmallows on the fire.
Children of all ages are welcome at Tuningi.
- Those over the age of five can join the first game drive with their parents. Their behaviour will determine whether they continue joining normal drives, or whether they will be moved to kiddies drives.
- All children under the age of five will be taken on short ‘kiddies bumbles’ after breakfast.
- Babies can be looked after by professionally trained housekeepers at an additional charge.
- Luxury accommodation
- Three meals per day, tea and coffee
- Two game drives per day
- Children’s program